Advising FAQ

How do I declare Economics as my major?

If you have completed fewer than 60 credit hours, simply make an appointment to discuss the major with the Economics advisor. If you have completed more than 60 credit hours, you must meet department requirements and must complete a graduation plan with the Economics advisor.

What are the requirements to complete a graduation plan in Economics?

Economics majors must have a minimum MU cumulative GPA of 2.5 AND a MU Economics GPA of 2.67 after at least 8 hours of Economics coursework. All A&S majors are expected to complete English 1000 and Mathematics 1100 with a grade of C- or above before junior standing is reached.

What is the difference between the Bachelor of Science degree in Economics and Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics?

The Bachelor of Arts is a general liberal arts degree that is designed for undergraduate students who are interested in obtaining employment in one of many careers that an undergraduate degree in economics unlocks, or who are seeking a graduate degree and career in business administration, law, public policy, etc. The Bachelor of Science has a stronger emphasis on mathematics and statistics, and is designed for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree and career in economics, finance, or other fields that require a more rigorous quantitative training.

Is Economics a good degree if I am uncertain about my plans after school?

Economics is a versatile degree if you are uncertain about your post-graduation plans. Graduates in Economics enter a diverse field of jobs in government, banking, insurance or other financial sectors, private sector businesses or even open their own businesses. An Economics degree will provide you a good foundation on how the economy and the world work and an understanding of the effects of policy issues.

I am pursuing a degree in another department. Would an Economics degree be a good supplement?

Yes. Economics is a versatile degree with broad applications. Students who study economics have the opportunity to hone their reasoning and decision-making abilities and to obtain analytical skills using data, logic, and critical thinking. Such skills are invaluable in advancing a career in our global environment. Many students studying statistics, mathematics, political science, psychology, journalism, business, etc. choose to pursue an additional degree or minor in economics.

I am interested in BSBA Economics. Should I see an advisor in Economics or an advisor in the Business school?

The Trulaske College of Business offers a concentration in economics, which may be a good option for students who are primarily interested in a business-related field, such as finance, and desire additional training in economics beyond the economics courses required for the business degree. Students must meet the requirements of the Trulaske College of Business to be admitted to upper-level study in business and must be advised by an advisor in the Trulaske College of Business. For an appointment with a Business advisor, call (573) 882-7073 or visit their offices in 111 Cornell Hall.

Is Economics a good Pre-Law degree?

Yes. The skills and abilities that you will obtain from studying economics coincide with the characteristics of an effective lawyer. Data shows that students who studied economics as pre-law obtained higher LSAT scores and wages.

If I want to try an Economics class what should be the first class I take?

The first class that students usually take is Econ 1014: Principles of Microeconomics.

Can I take Economics classes online or at a different campus?

Yes, but the last 12 economics credit hours of the minor and the last 21 credit hours of the major must be taken on campus. Also, ensure that if you are bringing an economics class from another university that it meets the equivalency requirements of the Mizzou economics department.

How much math is required to graduate with an Economics degree?

That depends on which degree you are pursuing. A student working toward a Bachelor of Arts degree will generally take less mathematics. A student working for a Bachelor of Science degree will take a more quantitative course load with more rigorous amounts of math and statistics.

Is there a foreign language requirement in the Economics Department?

Yes. You must complete a minimum of 12-13 credit hours in a single foreign language unless you have taken four years of the same foreign language while in high school. If you are pursuing a BS degree, you can fulfill this language requirement by getting Department of Economics permission to substitute 12 hours of coursework in an approved subject. For the BS-Economics foreign language alternative, the classes must be numbered 2000 or above.

What are the requirements to minor in Economics?

To obtain a minor in Economics a student must complete a minimum of 18 hours in Economics with the last 12 credit hours in residence (on the Columbia campus). The required courses are Econ 1014, 1015, 3251 or 4351, and three Economics electives, with at least one elective at the 4000-level. Students who take Econ 1051H (honors) may complete the minor with 17 credit hours.

What is the difference between general honors and departmental honors?

In order to graduate with the General Honors certificate, you must be accepted by the Honors College, complete a minimum of 20 hours of honors classes designated or approved by the Honors College, and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5. In order to graduate with Departmental Honors in Economics, you must have a minimum of 3.3 overall GPA, a minimum GPA of 3.5 in Economics courses and must complete Econ 4995: Honors Pro Seminar. More details are available at

What Economics courses count towards the 20 hours required for the General Honors certificate?

Any course designated with an 'H' at the end of the course number counts as an honors course. Econ 4995 (Honors Pro Seminar) also counts as an honors course. Alternatively, students wishing to earn honors credit for a non-honors course may enter into a contract with the professor to earn honors credit. Contact the Honors College for more information.

What is the first math course that I should take at MU?

The first math course you take depends on your past math experience. The University uses the scores from either the ACT, SAT or the ALEKS exam in order to place students in the proper level of Mathematics class. The ALEKS exam is given online throughout the year. Please consult with an advisor to determine the exact course suitable for you. For more information, visit

I haven't had any math for a few years. Can I take Math 1100: College Algebra although the University placed me at a higher level of Mathematics course?

Yes, you can. But, keep in mind that you will get credits only once for a class. Students often take Math 1100 to refresh their memory or build their confidence if they feel they don't have adequate experience in Mathematics. Please consult an advisor if you are unsure which class is right for you.

How many hours should I take each semester?

You must take a minimum of 12 hours each semester in order to keep your status as a full time student. A typical class load is 15 -16 hours each semester for a full time student in Economics.

How do I register for class?

You will log on to Under the menu window, click Self-Service. Under Self-Service, click Enrollment. From here, you can add, drop or browse for coursework.

How do I obtain a permission number for an Economics class?

Contact the Department of Economics at 882-0063, send an email to or stop by 118 Professional Building. Permission numbers are needed to enroll in Writing Intensive (WI) and capstone classes.

How many WI classes are required for a degree in Economics?

Two WI classes are required for all undergraduate degrees at the University. Students must take one WI class in their major and may take the other WI course in any subject at 1000-level or above. Many students in Economics fulfill their WI requirements by taking two Economics WI classes.

Which Economics classes are WI?

The designated WI Economics classes change from semester to semester. Typically, the Department of Economics offers two WI Economics courses each semester. Econ 4311: Labor Economics, Econ 4315: Public Economics and Econ 4357: Health Economics are often offered as WI classes.

How do I find a Writing Intensive (WI) course?

You may search "Writing Intensive Course" or "Writing Intensive Section" under Course Attribute Value on the MyZou Class Search page or browse a list of available WI courses on the Campus Writing Program web site:

I took Econ 1051, do I need to take an additional economics course in order to satisfy the 30 hour requirement for the major or 18 hour requirement for the minor?

If you took Econ 1051 (Journalism), you must have at least 30 hours of Economics for the major or 18 hours for the minor. If you take Econ 1051 Honors, then one hour of Economics is waived and you may graduate with 29 hours in the major or 17 hours in the minor.

Who is eligible for the Economics Department scholarship?

The department offers various scholarships in varying amounts to juniors and seniors majoring in Economics (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Science in Business Administration). Applicants should have a minimum overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.5 or higher in Economics courses.

What is the difference between Econom 4971 and Econom 4995?

Both courses are capstone courses in economics. Econom 4995 is designed for students who wish to earn departmental honors. Students taking 4995 also need to enroll in the Supplemental Senior Seminar in Economics (Econom 4971). This is the 1-hr capstone course offered only in the spring and prepares students for the Major Field Test, which is required of all Economics majors prior to graduation.

Can or should I repeat a course?

Courses in which a student earns a C- or below are eligible for course repeat policy. The first step is to retake the course. Upon completion of the second attempt of the course, the student must submit a request for GPA adjustment form to the University Registrar's Office, 125 Jesse Hall. The first attempt of the course will then be removed from the student's cumulative GPA. It should be noted that the first grade will still be visible on the student's transcript and that semester's GPA will not be adjusted. Students are strongly encouraged to visit with an advisor to determine whether re-enrollment is advisable (certain department or divisional policies may be important). Further, students should be aware that repeating a course may have an impact on financial aid, insurance, entrance to professional schools, participation in athletics, immigration status, and other non-academic matters. For more questions, please visit

Where can I find help with my economics course?

The Student Success Center offers free tutoring for students enrolled in Econ 1014, 1015, and 1051 at least two days a week from 5:00-7:00 PM. The tutors are located on the main floor of the Student Success Center. More information about the Student Success Center is available at