The University of Missouri offers three Undergraduate Degrees in Economics: Two through the College of Arts and Science and one through the Trulaske College of Business.

Bachelor of Arts

The BA degree is designed for students who plan to continue their education in non-economics fields and for students who plan to seek employment after graduation. Post-graduate educational alternatives include law school or programs in the business school, political science and journalism. Post-graduate employment opportunities include positions in state government, banking, insurance or other financial sectors, and private sector businesses. Frequently, students in humanities or fine arts complete a BA in Economics as a second major in order to increase their employment potential.

Bachelor of Science

The BS Quantitative Track is a degree program for students who plan to attend graduate school in economics or finance, while the BS Applied Track is a program for students who want more analytical experience for their future career ambitions. The curriculum includes more quantitative coursework than the BA degree, but still allows students to take electives that focus on various aspects of economics, such as labor, law, and education. Often students pursuing a BS degree double major with Mathematics or Statistics or dual degrees with Accounting or Finance.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

Admission to the Trulaske College of Business requires completion of at least 54 semester hours of college credit specific to the lower level business program with a minimum overall 2.6 cumulative GPA.

You can earn a BSBA in Economics by taking four to six additional courses in Economics beyond the requirements for a degree in Finance, Accounting, Marketing, International Business, and Real Estate. You are required to take Economics 4351 and 4353, as well as three Economics electives. Please consult the Business Advising Office for more details.

Double Majors, Dual Degrees, and 5th Year Masters Program

For double majors and dual degrees, students must satisfy all requirements of both degree programs. Some courses may be allowed to count towards both degrees. Carefully chosen elective courses in addition to required courses can facilitate double majors and dual degrees.

Common double majors in the College of Arts and Science are:

  • BA with majors in Economics and Political Science, Psychology, History, English or Communication
  • BS with majors in Economics and Statistics or Mathematics

Common dual degrees with other schools and colleges are:

  • BA with majors in Economics and Journalism or Education
  • BS with majors in Economics and Engineering, Accountancy, Finance, or Marketing

It is possible to obtain a Masters Degree in Economics during a fifth year of study. Students interested in this program should begin consultation with their Economics advisor in their junior year and must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students must be accepted to this program by the beginning of their senior year. Economics courses taken in the senior year may be counted toward graduate credit, allowing completion of the Masters degree in the following year.

Minoring in Economics

The Department of Economics has designed the minor requirements in such a manner that each student will have an overview of the fundamentals of micro- and macroeconomics and have sufficient flexibility to select courses in a specialized area or in several applied areas.

Students wishing to minor in Economics must take a minimum of 17-18 credits in Economics. Courses must include Econom 1014 (or 1024) and 1015 (or 1051H instead of the previous two courses), 3251 or 4351, plus three Economics electives - including at least one at the 4000 level.

To officially declare your minor in Economics, fill out the declaration form. Once you have received confirmation of your minor declaration, you can access your progress towards your minor or certificate by running a degree audit. If you have questions about the minor after you view your degree audit, contact the advisor for the minor (Kati Abbott, More information about declaring a minor is available here.